Great Keppel Island is the back drop to the Fitzroy Frogs Southern Reef Regional Challenge.
We head to the island for a weekend to swim, run and random fun! For many years, CQ athletes have looked out across Keppel Bay and wondered “why don’t we have an event on Great Keppel Island?”.
Wonder no more Central Queensland, jump on the ferry and come over to experience a great weekend.
Event details may vary a little, but the program will look something like the following:
- Ocean swimming (3km, 2km, 1km and 500m events, including all four if you are up to it)
- The 3km swim will commence at 8:45, (this allows participants not already on the island to catch the 7:30am Keppel Konnections transfer from Rosslyn Bay harbour)
- Random Fun – why not hire a kayak and/or some snorkelling gear from GKI adventures, visit some of the nearby beaches, practice your beach volleyball or find a shady spot under a palm tree.
- For anyone leaving the island on Saturday afternoon, your transfer departs at 4:00pm.
- Potentially if anyone is keen, some swim coaching may be available.
- Trail running/hike (various distance options) commencing at 8:00am, (this allows participants not already on the island to catch the 6:45am “Special” Keppel Konnections transfer from Rosslyn Bay Harbour)
- Participants are required to return to the GKI Hideaway by 2pm
- For those of us leaving the island on Sunday afternoon, our transfer departs at 4:00pm
Events are relatively non-competitive, but each participant will represent their Local Government area in “The Southern Reef Regional Challenge”
Event start times will be scheduled to allow participants to arrive on the early morning ferry, but please consider staying on the island to make the most of your weekend.
2018 Region Winner – Rockhampton – will you help you region win in 2019?